MoveIt! is a new software framework for motion planning in ROS. MoveIt! is a core part of ROS and will replace the Arm Navigation packages.
ICRA and ROSCON 2013 Trip Report
Our trip to ICRA and ROSCON 2013 was a grand success. The highlights:
- MoveIt! is released: We released MoveIt! from ICRA 2013. Read all about it on the Willow Garage Blog and ros.org
- The tutorial on Motion Planning for Mobile Manipulation: State-of-the-art Methods and Tools was a huge success. The talks were fantastic and a live demo with the PR2 showed the audience how they could start using MoveIt!
- The booth demo with MoveIt! attracted a lot of audience interest as well. Thank you for coming to ICRA 2013 and visiting the Willow Garage booth.
- The ROSCON Keynote talk was the first talk at ROSCON (after the introductory talks) and created a huge buzz around MoveIt!
- We integrated MoveIt! with the Baxter Research Robot from Rethink Robotics at ROSCON 2013 (this was an initial proof of concept integration). Read about it on the Willow Garage Blog.
The initial (alpha) release of MoveIt! was done from ICRA 2013. Have a look at these videos to see how MoveIt! works.
Come see us at ROSCON 2013
- Sachin Chitta and Ioan Sucan will be giving the keynote talk on MoveIt! at ROSCON at 9:30 AM on Saturday, May 11, 2013.
Come see us at ICRA 2013
- We are at ICRA 2013 (May 6-10, 2013) in Karlsruhe, Germany.
- The Willow Garage Booth will have a MoveIt! demo as part of the exhibit. The booth is open on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (May 7-9, 2013).
- Sachin Chitta is giving a talk on "MoveIt!: Software for Rapid Development of New Robotics Applications" at the ICRA Industrial Mobile Assistance Robots Workshop on Monday, May 6, 2013.
- MoveIt! will be presented at a tutorial on Friday May 10, 2013 in Room Thoma: Motion Planning for Mobile Manipulation: State-of-the-art Methods and Tools, organized by Sachin Chitta, Ioan Sucan, Mark Moll, Lydia Kavraki and Maxim Likhachev.
- MoveIt! developers have played a part in the following papers:
- Wednesday, May 8, Session WeAInt, 8:30 AM to 10 AM, Anytime Incremental Planning with E-Graphs, Mike Phillips, Andrew Dornbush, Sachin Chitta and Maxim Likhachev
- Wednesday, May 8, Session WeF5, 17:15-17:30 PM, Real-Time Collision Detection and Distance Computation on Point Cloud Sensor Data, Jia Pan, Ioan Sucan, Sachin Chitta and Dinesh Manocha
- Wednesday, May 8, Session WeFInt, 17:15-18:30 PM, A Single Planner for a Composite Task of Approaching, Opening and Navigating through Non-Spring and Spring-Loaded Doors, Steven Gray, Sachin Chitta, Vijay Kumar, Maxim Likhachev
- Thursday, May 9, Session ThD5, 14:30-14:45 PM, Anytime Solution Optimization for Sampling-Based Motion Planning, Ryan Luna, Ioan Sucan, Mark Moll, Lydia Kavraki
ICRA 2013 Tutorial
- ICRA 2013 Tutorial - Friday, May 10, 2013, ICRA 2013, Karlsruhe, Germany
- Installation - Instructions for binary and source install of MoveIt!
- High-level Overview Diagram - Beginner's-level description of the main components of MoveIt!
- Quick Start - Start using MoveIt! by following through as we demonstrate its configuration and capabilities.
- Robots - Example use cases with different robots.
Developing with MoveIt!
- Capabilities - Detailed documentation of the individual capabilities provided in MoveIt! including motion planning, kinematics, trajectory processing, constraints and collision checking.
- Applications - Integrated applications with MoveIt! including pick and place, workspace analysis and benchmarking of motion planners.
- API - Code level documentation.
Getting Help/Reporting Bugs
- Report an issue - Reporting bugs, finding more information, etc.
- Users mailing list: moveit-users at googlegroups.com Mailing List Archive
We are working on a technical publication that will be a better resource to cite MoveIt! in the near future. In the meantime, please use the following citation for MoveIt!
- Ioan A. Sucan and Sachin Chitta, "MoveIt!", [Online] Available: http://moveit.ros.org