World MoveIt Day 2019
The fourth annual World MoveIt Day will be Wednesday, November 20th, 2019! The event is a day long international hackathon to improve the MoveIt code base, increase documentation, and discuss exciting developments in our community. We hope to close as many pull requests and issues as possible and explore new areas of features and improvements building off of our seven years of ongoing work.
- Wednsday, November 20th, 2019
- See specific locations for details on times
World MoveIt Day is an international hackathon to improve the MoveIt code base, documentation, and community. We hope to close as many pull requests and issues as possible and explore new areas of features and improvements for the now eight year old framework. Everyone is welcome to participate from their local workplace, simply by working on open issues.
In addition, a number of companies and groups host meetings on their sites all over the world. A video feed will unite the various locations and enable more collaboration. Maintainers will take part in some of these locations.
Please state your intent to join or host the international event on this form.
Event Locations Last Year
Locations for 2019 are still to be announced, but last year’s events included:
- Iron Ox, San Francisco, USA
- PickNik Consulting, Boulder, USA
- Fraunhofer IPA / RIC-EU, Stuttgart, Germany
- ROS-Industrial Asian Pacific Consortium, Singapore
- Tokyo Opensource Robotics Kyokai Association (TORK) and OMRON SINIC X Corporation, Kashiwa, Japan
- Southwest Research Institute / ROS-Industrial Consortium Americas, San Antonio, USA
- Cluster Innovation Centre, Delhi University, New Delhi, India
- Shadow Robot Company, London, UK
If you aren’t near an organized event we encourage you to have your own event in your lab/organization/company and video conference in to all the other events. We would also like to mail your team or event some MoveIt stickers to schwag out your robots with. State your intent to join or host on this form.
Organizers / More Info
PickNik Robotics // email@example.com
What version of MoveIt should you use?
We recommend building the master branch or the Melodic LTS release. The Kinetic branch development has ended but is still under Long Term Support.
Finding Where You Can Help
Suggested areas for improvement are tracked on the moveit repo via several labels:
- moveit day candidate labels issues as possible entry points for participants in the event. This list will grow longer before the event.
- simple improvements indicates the issue can probably be tackled in a few hours.
- documentation suggests new tutorials, changes to the website, etc.
- no label - of course issues that are not marked can still be worked on during World MoveIt day, though they will likely take longer than one day to complete.
If you would like to help the MoveIt project by tackling an issue, claim the issue by commenting:
> “I’ll work on this for WMD 2019”.
Feel free to ask further questions in each issue’s comments.
Further needs for documentation and tutorials improvement can be found directly on the moveit_tutorials issue tracker.
Other larger code sprint ideas can be found on this page. While they will take longer than a day the ideas might provide a good reference for other things to contribute on WMD.
Improving our documentation for new and current users is always a goal of WMD!
If you have studied extensively an aspect of MoveIt that is not currently documented, please convert your notes into a pull request in the appropriate location. If you’ve started a conversation on the mailing list or other location where a more experienced developer explained a concept, consider converting that answer into a pull request to help others in the future with the same question.
For more details on modifying documentation, see Contributing.
Video Conference and IRC
Join the conversation on IRC with #moveit at irc.freenode.net. For those new to IRC try this web client.
Join the video conference on Appear.In
- To be announced