Hack with us on World MoveIt Day 2022!
The seventh annual World MoveIt Day will take place on Thursday, June 2nd, 2022. As an open source platform, MoveIt relies on our community and our goal this year is to increase our community involvement and team collaboration.
World MoveIt Day is an international hackathon to improve the MoveIt code base, documentation, and community. We hope to close as many pull requests and issues as possible and explore new areas of features and improvements for the now ten(!) year old framework. Beginners are welcome to join us to review the tutorials and get immediate help when needed. This year, the focus will be on improvements to MoveIt 2.
Please register for World MoveIt Day using this form so we have a rough idea of interest level and intent.
Organizers / More Info
PickNik Robotics // firstname.lastname@example.org
There will be a livestream set up for this event (details coming soon).
We host a virtual World MoveIt Day Space where people can connect.
World MoveIt Day 2018 at TORK in Tokyo
How To Get Involved
- For those experienced with MoveIt, it’s best to choose your issue before the event. Post on the Github issue “I’m claiming this issue for World MoveIt Day”.
- You may also join a ‘Track’ and work in a team, find out more on GitHub. Each track is lead by a maintainer who can help you get up-to-speed with MoveIt, and to find work that fits your skill level.
- The download and setup time can significantly eat into the day’s productivity, so pre-setup ROS, MoveIt, Virtualbox, Docker, LXD depending on your workflow
- The recommended ROS versions is ROS 2 Rolling Jammy.
- Please try to install MoveIt 2 the day before and try a basic tutorial. Keep notes on anything that did not work or was not clear. Addressing those issues is perfect for World MoveIt Day. If you cannot fix it yourself, then you can create a new issue (and use the WMD tag).
- Join the World MoveIt Day Space
- Join the Discord Server to meet other contributors and maintainers! We’ll be coordinating issues and tracks; along with hosting ‘Fireside Chats’ on discord voice and assisting with any installation issues in general channels.
- Don’t forget to take selfies and email to email@example.com
Squash Bugs / Issues
Suggested areas for improvement are tracked on the MoveIt 2 repository. Our team of maintainers is working on finding and labeling suggested issues for the event.
If you would like to help the MoveIt project by tackling an issue, make sure to claim the issue by commenting before you start working:
> “I’ll work on this for WMD 2022”.
Feel free to ask further questions in each issue’s comments.
Improve the Docs
Improving our documentation for new and current users is always a goal of WMD!
If you have studied an aspect of MoveIt extensively that is not currently documented, please convert your notes into a pull request in the appropriate location. If you’ve started a conversation on the mailing list or other location where a more experienced developer explained a concept, consider converting that answer into a pull request to help others in the future with the same question.
For more details on modifying documentation, see Contributing.
Generally a single day event is not enough time to complete a new feature, so we recommend you are sure you are committed to seeing the work through beyond World MoveIt Day before tackling a new feature.
Other larger code sprint ideas can be found on this page. While they will take longer than a day, the ideas might provide a good reference for other things to contribute on WMD.
World MoveIt Day 2019 at Fetch in San Francisco